Pages

Sunday, January 3, 2016

Nobody Really Knows How To Spell 'Fitzcaraldo'

[This post is part of Think Kit by SmallBox. Today's prompt: Get analog. No screens, no technology – let's think about real world experiences. What did you do with your hands this year?]

So, it's not like my obsession with bread-baking is very much a secret – and describing my current process in-depth would be a bit of a cop-out in lieu of previous entries. But I did do something half-artistic this year that wasn't release a cassette of garage-pop or...bake numerous loaves of bread. Though it does have to do with bread. ...like most things in my life.

Earlier this year, my buddy Alex and I put on a pop-up shop featuring my bread and his coffee under the name Fitzcaraldo (hat-tip, Werner Herzog). I'll write more on this later, I'm sure, but one of the most important elements of the affair, besides the name, was the brilliant logo design (inspired by banneton lines on loaves of bread, as well as vintage coffee machines) that my good friend and connoisseur-of-life, Andrew, whipped up for the event.



I had the idea that we could produce a rubber stamp of the logo, done by cutting two separate pads (one for each color) that we could then use to print...on bread bags, of course. So, I printed the logo out, painstakingly (given my poor hand-eye-coordination & fine motor skills) cut out the lines and letters with an X-acto knife, traced the outlines to either side of a rubber pad, and voila!






Though it takes a little time, and I should probably invest in an ink roller, I can do 25 bags pretty quickly at this point. Much more quickly than I can bake and fill them! Since I generally 'accept' a donation per loaf, I figure the least I can do is deliver them in a (paper – which is best for letting the loaf cure & breathe) bag that looks legit.

I actually like the handmade, mussed, slightly inaccurate nature of the stamps – it gives the logo more character than if I were mass-printing. And, it acts as a nice analogy for baking with 100% sourdough levain. Every loaf is a little different, every time, depending on timing, temperature, ingredients; and I think this individualism comes across in the lines and variations that happen with each stamp.

A photo posted by Drew D. (@dronestreet) on

No comments:

Post a Comment